Friday, June 10, 2011

Super Quick Healthy Turkey & Black Bean Chili!

For quite sometime I have loved to take classic favorite recipes and tried to make them healthy.  This post is going to be dedicated to my mother.

I can always remember her trying to make sure we ate healthy things. She was the kind of mom who always bought whole grains and wheat bread even before it was popular.  Our breakfast cereals were usually a choice between Cheerios, Shredded wheat, Cream of Wheat, Malt-O-Meal and unfortunately Grape Nuts(sorry mom still hate that stuff).  It was only so often that we got a real treat like Lucky Charms. There was always fruit and a glass of milk to go with it. Vegetables were always present and I don't remember eating out a lot growing up.

She was and still is the busiest mom I've ever know, not only was she a teacher, she was getting her masters and then her doctorate all while never missing a softball/baseball game or a band performance! So Thanks to my mom who started my love of food and healthy living! I'd like to think that is why I now take it to the next level.

Now for the tasty stuff.

This recipe is just one of my many chili varieties. This one is great because it is super fast and it only needs one pot! Time is saved by using a few canned ingredients, which help keep the dish moving. This one is packed with good stuff for you too!

Topped with cheddar cheese and a bit of sour cream!
Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 can rinsed black beans
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
1 yellow onion diced
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
1 green bell pepper diced
2 tablespoons chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large stock pot brown the turkey, then drain if needed.
Then on medium heat add the onion, peppers, and garlic to the turkey.  Let it cook for about 3 min. Then just add all the canned goods and spices.  Let it all cook together for about 15 minutes turn heat down if it starts to boil too much.

Then serve!

Quick Extra Tip; What is chili without cornbread?
I love to have warm buttered cornbread with my chili.  So I always have a box or two of the Jiffy Corn Bread mix in my pantry.  Yep that's right I love Jiffy mix!  It's quick and easy and you can make cornbread muffins or pan style in just minutes.  And rather than try to track down the best cornmeal (the good stuff is hard to find) I buy this box mix for around $1.

Happy Chili Day - Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment