Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Afternoon Siesta Snack!

Chips and salsa are probably one of the most commonly served appetizers in our neck of the woods.  But it's also a common snack. Growing up I think my brother ate them every afternoon.

I have a great way to not only lower the calories of your common chips but also help you realize what a serving should be.  I think everyone can relate to opening a bag of chips and the next thing you know half the bag if not the entire bag is gone!

This snack/appetizer only take 15 minutes max to make and you will feel way better about eating this because the entire thing is less than 250 Calories!

Ingredients:

Chips
2 Carb Light flour tortillas(Mission brand are good, plus you can by the wheat version to get that extra bit of nutrition)
Vegetable spray
Salt

Dip
2-3 tablespoons of store bought salsa
1 tablespoon of fat free sour cream

Start off by preheating your oven to 350* F. Then grab a cookie sheet. Spray the cookie sheet with vegetable spray.  Then Take two of the tortillas(stacked on top of each other) and cut into wedges.  I cut mine into 12 wedges that make 24 chips.  Then put on the cookie sheet in a single layer.  Spray the tortillas with the vegetable spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake them for 10 minutes depending on your oven, and check on them every so often to make sure they don't burn. While the chips bake, mix your dip.  After taking the chips out of the oven let them cool for a few minutes. Then serve!  Super easy.

If you are really hungry you can eat this entire plate guilt free, or to cut the calories even further half it with a friend to bring it down to around 125 calories.  I will admit I ate the whole thing by myself and had to make a second batch for someone else :)

Happy Snacking - Amber

P.S. Yesterday's post mentioned my cat Teddy sneaking a taste.  Here he is at it again!  He really loved my Turkey Meatball and Tortellini Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment