Thursday, June 2, 2011

I don't need Mc Donald's, BK, Wendy's or Carl's Jr

I have met very few people in my life that dislike fast food.  We might all know that it is bad for us and blah, blah, blah.  But we all still grab that burger and fries every so often, dig into it and enjoy every bite! When we get the urge for the burger run, I instead stay home and make it myself.  I am not only saving about 50% of my $ on  the deal but I can also control how it's prepared and what goes into my dinner. I will admit I still cave into the occasional In & Out Burger though.

I'm not going to list out every single thing I do for my homemade fast food but here are a few ideas:

Use wholewheat buns you by in the store, I'm sure I don't need to tell you why these are better for you. I pile my burger with fresh tomatoes and I can either grill the meat or when its to cold to grill make it on my indoor griddle. I can also use any cheese I want.  Now for the real treat, I often make my own french fries, but last night was an extra special treat with my homemade onion rings. Let me tell you these are way better than any restaurants and I can pick a much healthier oil than what is used when you run through the drive through.

So let me tell you how to do it.

My big trick for these is... I don't use a deep fryer...I use a WOK.. It heats up hot and fast and I don't need a ton of oil.  I also like the fact that since it heats up to a high temperature my food soaks up less oil. Plus every house and average cook already has one on hand.

Ingredients:
1 onion (peeled and cut into super thin rings, just my preference)
1/2 cup milk(non or low fat)
1 Tablespoon of fat free sour creme
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of bread crumbs(pre-made store bought)
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 cup of  vegetable oil

First start heating the oil in your wok. Then mix your milk and sour cream in a small bowl combine flour, breadcrumbs and spice in a different dish. Working in small batches soak onions in milk mixture and dredge in flour mixture. After they are well coated drop in the in wok (carefully).  Once golden brown take them out and lay on paper towels to let the oil drain the rest of the way off.  Then eat up.

Surprisingly 1 onion will make enough for two people. Then multiply the ingredients if you are making it for 4, 6 + people

Now for a bonus tip:

I made my own apple crisp for dessert and to really jazz it up I added low calories caramel dipping sauce to my apples before baking. Plus it has oatmeal crumble topping. The oatmeal is another bonus of its own. Then served it up with Dryer's Slow Churned Pralines and Cream ice cream (1/2 the fat and low cal)  and with a dab of Nutella on the top.  It was stop traffic delicious.

Happy Noshing - Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment