Saturday, May 28, 2011

Is that Clean?

I once heard the phrase, "Does clean have a smell?"

When you by cleaners in the store that smell like ocean breezes and fresh linens, most people don't realize that to get that smell a lot of chemicals are added to make it smell that way.  I have looked at all the "green" cleaning sprays and they are often twice as much as the other chemical ridden cleaners. I'm an asthmatic and I know that inhaling a lot of cleaning chemicals can trigger an attack so I always try to be conscious of what I'm using. What is in your home is very important for your overall health, not just the kind of food you eat or how much you exercise. On another note if you have pets and small children those chemically laden products are very harmful to them too.

Call it Martha Stewart inspired if you like, but my homemade all purpose cleaning spray is cheap and healthy. Plus the few ingredients that make it up are usually on hand and are cheap!  Let me also point out the I don't use this spray for absolutely everything, sometimes dirty household jobs still need the "Comet" or "Ajax" cleanser.  But I have found that my spray cleans just about everything else. I use it several times a day to wash my counters and stove spills. I dust with it and it works well on the microwave too!

First you need a spray bottle, easy enough so far
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
and a few drops of dish soap.

Once you pour all of that into the bottle just fill the rest of the bottle up with water...shake...and you're ready to clean up!

Why its good!

Vinegar and lemon have been used to clean for probably 100 years but has taken a back seat over the last 50 years to all the other junk. It's great for killing most mold, bacteria, and germs, due to its level of acidity.  Plus the lemon makes it smell a little nicer.

Dish soap also helps break down the grease.

That's all there is too it...
So even if you're not that type of person who tries to live super "green," at least you can feel good about this little tip.

Happy Spring Cleaning - Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment