Sunday, May 29, 2011

Did you say Muffins?

I love to bake and I love to eat just as much.  However having a sweet tooth or in my case all goodies tooth I like to make treats that aren't completely bad for you.  Who doesn't love homemade muffins? I also like to do what I call pantry/frig purging every once in a while to use up the things that have been left out of my usual cooking and last week was that time.  I had all my usual baking supplies and for some reason a lot of applesauce.

TA-DA I decided it was Applesauce Muffins time!

Since I do try to put extra healthy stuff in our diets these were no exception. (Thanks for teaching me do be this way, Mom! So glad I had a Mom who cared about the healthiness of our food.)

So yummy with my morning coffee!
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (if you use wheat flour they are even better for you)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (any kind you have)
1 1/2 cups of applesauce!

I'm not a fussy baker so all of this gets combined in one bowl and mixed. You can use the paper liners or just spray some cooking spray in the cups so they don't stick. Next fill your muffin cups to almost full (contrary to other instructions I like large filling muffins).

I make a strussel topping as well in another bowl.

1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine

Combine all of these to make a crumbly mixture. Then sprinkle generously on the tops of the unbaked muffins.

Bake at 400 *F for 20 minutes, do the toothpick test to make sure they are done and bake a little longer if needed. Makes 12 muffins.
Here they are, well what is left of them!

These are great for a quick snack, my husband loves to grab a few to take with him to work in the morning. To snack on throughout the day. They taste great a little warm, or at room temp.  You can put butter on them or a little honey for an extra special treat. They have fiber and fruit baked right in so you can feel good about these little "Sneak Treats"

Happy Eating - Amber

1 comment:

  1. This is another great recipe, especially with the streusel topping!!

    ReplyDelete